Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How would I write these reactions into chemical equations?

I had an unknown solution; I noticed it was a sodium salt due to its PH of 7, I then tested for the present of I- by adding 6M HNO3 until acidic, then added 15 drops hexane and 10 drops chlorine water. Then I mixed it very well and found that the hexane layer is violet which confirms the present of I-; which indicates my unknown should be NaI

How would I write the above reactions into balanced chemical equations?

How would I write these reactions into chemical equations?
could be potassium iodide...



I'd take a drop of the solution onto a fire cleaned paper clip %26amp; torch it



sodium burns bright yelowish orange for longer than you care to wait



potassium burns pint to violet to lavendar depending upon the concentration





2I- %26amp; Cl2 --%26gt; 2Cl- %26amp; I2





the hexane is just a cheap, safe organic solvent that dissolves the iodine without a chemical reaction.. in non polar solvents iodine dissolves well %26amp; gives a pink to purple color... so there is no equation to give

the chlorine oxidizes the iodide to iodine, while the chlorine gets reduced to chloride
Reply:First you should collect the data. Maybe ask your teacher, boss, professer, etc..... I hope that answered your question. Good question, bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment